Monday 15 February 2016

Dropping Add Maths

This is a repost of my reply to the "Dropping Add Maths" thread on the Lowyat forum which I thought might be helpful to other students who are struggling with the same thing.
QUOTE(Robbie Lee @ Jan 31 2016, 09:21 AM)
Hi everyone, I am an Accounts Stream student studying and currently Form 5 right now. I am thinking about dropping Add Maths as it has been a burden to me ever since Form 4 started. I have scored all As for every subject except add maths, which I had never passed before. If I were to study business related courses in Uni, should I consider holding on to Add Maths? Thanks in advance for all the answers. u
*
I failed Add Maths all the way through Form 4 but in Form 5 I got my sh*t together and managed to scrape by with Bs Cs for the whole year. I joined every extra class for Add Maths even those for other classes. I'm just waiting for my SPM results now.

Personally, I would suggest that you stick on with Add Math until near SPM when they ask you to fill up a form declaring your subjects and decide then. You should drop it if you still cannot pass by then.

I think you might need basic Add Maths for Business majors like Management Information Systems, business systems analysis, IT management and information systems but I'm not too sure about this. It would best for you to talk to your school counselor about this. That or you can check the requirements/structure of the course you wanna take to see whether Add Maths is involved.

For now I suggest going to tuition or studying the important topics on your own.

Also, if there are any extra classes in your school for Add Maths make sure you join. Ask your Add Maths teacher to inform you whenever there is an extra class for Add Maths for any Form 4 or Form 5 classes.
Your teacher will be more than willing to help.




TIPS:
Think of the topics that you are sure that you wanna do for Section B & C for Paper 2 and practice those topics like crazy until you are sure you can do it easily.

SECTION B
Recommendation: Vectors,Probability, and Linear Law.

Then, you only have to choose between the Integration question and the Trigonometric Functions one.

SECTION C
Recommendations: Price Index and Linear Inequalities/Solution of Triangles

Price Index is a no-brainer cause it's the easiest question in the whole section. The questions are always the same.

Linear Inequalities is the one I found easy but I have a friend who hates it. Plus, it's quite time consuming to draw the graph during the exam. So, this one may not be for everyone.

Solution of Triangles is the topic my teacher recommended me to do but I could never really get it but most people preferred this topic.

Motion in a Straight Line is the topic that wasn't taught in my class because teacher said its too complicated but everybody learned it in tuition. I kinda liked it better than Solution of Triangles.

MUST MASTER TOPICS
Functions
Quadratic Functions
Coordinate Geometry
Logarithms

OTHERS
Differentiation and Integration are hard af imo so I just mastered the basics and then understand how to use the formulae on the front of the exam paper and I was good to go.

Progressions is easy as hell once you understand the topic. After that you only need to glance at the topic for a few minutes before every exam.

Permutations and Combinations are worth ver little marks but it's a relatively easy topic if you can tell the difference between when to use which.

OPTIONAL
For me, writing short notes on each topic helps but, of course, the effectiveness of this differs from person to person.


Anyways, good luck with your studies! 
Remember that academics aren't everything so don't stress out too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to be notified when somebody replies you?
Check the "Notify me" box at the lower right hand corner. :D