Tuesday 3 May 2016

SPM Rechecks

If you read my post about my SPM results from (almost) two months ago, you might remember me mentioning that I decided not to get a recheck for my only B(Physics).

Yeah I made it sound like I made that decision easy peasy lemon squeezy with the whole Ein nope gif but it was really more like me having an existential crisis, Shakespeare-style.
That is the question,

The reason for my indecision was simple. My friend, who also got 8A 1B+, was getting a recheck and her mom was trying to convince me to do the same(out of goodwill). After about half an hour of back and forth calls with my parents and talking to the office clerk, I decided not to go through with it. It came down to the clerk telling me that usually B+ rarely ever becomes an A and you should only do it if:
A. You've always gotten an A before.
B. You got an A in the SPM Trials exam.
C. You're pretty fucking sure you aced that test.
I'm none of the above so I decided not to do it. 
If you're curious about how my friend's recheck went, there was no change to her grade.

Recheck FAQ

Is recheck the same thing as appeal or semak semula?
Yes.

How much is a recheck for an SPM paper?
RM 100 per paper.

How long does it take for the recheck results to come back?
Anywhere between 2-6 months.

What do they do when they recheck your paper?
They will probably start by recounting and recalculating you marks to ensure that they were counted correctly. Then, they'll re-mark you entire paper and add in your new marks(if any).

How can I apply for a recheck?
Usually all you have to do is go to your school's office and tell them that you want a recheck or semak semula your SPM paper. They'll then hand you a form to fill up. After you hand in the form, the rest will be handled by your school. 

How will I receive the recheck result?
Through mail (physical not digital).

So, when should one get a recheck?
  • You don't have enough credits(Cs) to enter university
    -most universities have a five credit(5Cs) requirement for foundation programmes
    -some private unis allow you to enter even if you don't meet the SPM result requirement if you pass their entrance exam
  • You failed a subject that you need to meet your foundation/diploma/course requirements
    -e.g: Engineering/Computer Science usually require a credit in Additional Maths
  • You're almost certain that you did better than what you got
    -My dad's friend's daughter was the top student in her school but failed English in SPM. She got her paper rechecked. It came back as an A+.

UPDATE: My friend's recheck result came back and her grade kekal(still a B+).


Remember, this is just my personal opinion on the matter and ultimately, the choice is yours to make.
Tell me what you guys think about the whole dilemma in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to be notified when somebody replies you?
Check the "Notify me" box at the lower right hand corner. :D